Friday, July 11, 2008

Stimulants

Every time I hear 'stimulus', that oft uttered word in relation to another $82 billion dollars in debt we just carried, I think of how many families simply parlayed that debt right into foreign coffers.

And my family will be one of them.

My check is sitting in the drawer, where it's been sitting for the last four weeks, sitting right alongside my state refund check that's been there for the past two months. I am not in a hurry to do anything with them.

Of course, that's the worst thing I can do with it, now, isn't it? To save it is to harm the economy. Presume I open a CD, or push it to a mutual fund, or cash it in and stuff it into a Posturpedic mattress...this would utterly decimate the Merikan economy. Save it...shit.

Of this $82 billion, my gut tells me that eighty two percent will flow directly to Abu Dhabi and China, to offset higher priced gasoline or to buy yet more worthless shit from Asia. Sixty billion in additional debt, passed onto an unknown future constituency.

But the bulk of my check will flow directly to Italy, or perhaps Japan, to buy a scooter that American manufacturers are incapable of manufacturing. So indeed, I'm not going to invest that 'stimulus' into equities that are falling 2% in value every five days. I'm not going to hoard it in cash that also is devalued daily against foreign currencies. I suppose I could convert it into commodities, but I already have enough into that.

No, let me support foreigners with it. I'll be more American for doing so.

No comments: