Monday, July 28, 2008

Homo Consumerensis

I distinctly remember in my physical anthropology class the notion that humans aren't just physically similar to other greater apes, but that greater apes' behavior is also extraordinarily similar to humans.

I'm compelled to trust behaviors I can observe, and my past studies have concluded (at least for me) that there is more to our relationship with apes than just our physical appearances. But contrary to slow changes brought about by natural selection and time, we have, within the span of two generations, morphed into a new species, Homo Consumerensis -- in a timeframe heretofore unheard of in evolutionary biology.

Not all humans are ancestors of this new species. And it's likely, as were many extinct Homo species before Sapiens, to simply die out, never to beget any newer species. Consumerensis is a dead branch of our ancestrial tree. Consumerensis thrived on cheap energy and even cheaper mass produced foreign goods, able to geometrically expand in numbers. In an age of expensive energy (Consumerensis' asteroidal impact), can it remain fit enough to continue to reproduce? To spawn little Consumerensi?

No comments: