Thursday, April 16, 2009

Unconnected

I want to point out that all of my utilitie's new AMI metering units will all come with remote disconnecting means.

This means a utility worker won't have to risk his/her life pulling the meter and shutting down some user's house. Won't have to interface directly with a shotgun wielding irate non-paying "customer," or his loose pit bulls. Our new meters will be installed with a remote 200A breaker that can cut power directly if/when a customer doesn't pay the bill.

I know, from personal experience, that the second a meter is pulled a check is magically produced by the non-paying customer to pay the bill and get the lights back on. I know, because my meter was pulled at my very first apartment in 1991. It took me less than a day to pay my arrears and get on with consuming power. It was a strange case in that I never got a bill to begin with, but the power was pulled nonetheless.

It's going to take all of about two minutes for non-paying customers to understand what remote disconnecting entails. Fast. Silent. Immediate. Little to no warning. They will drive, in droves, to the utility campus (funny that they can pay for gas) to pay their past due bills. And let me say that you the diligent customer are paying a good premium to keep thousands of other non-paying customers connected...utility's past due accounts are rising. This is money not in use by your utility, and it is substantial. You don't have to wonder why rates are increasing.

No comments: