Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Yoga II

Following my return from Colorado (in discussion with Patty Block) I decided that I needed to practice yoga more than just one day a week.

I often feel terrible after a bike ride into work. Sitting there in my cube -- stiff, unyielding. But I've noticed that if I take the time, about fifteen minutes, of correct yoga stretching as I arrive at work, I am never, never! stiff during the day.

Patty mentioned how yoga has helped her with the chores in her barnyard, and how as she migrated from one to two or more days a week she has really noticed a difference. So I've taken an interest in SMUDs Monday afternoon yoga along with my usual Wednesday evening class. And I'll tell you, that extra session is remarkable...I feel substantially better than before. I only wish I had the mental desire and fortitude to practice it five to six days a week.

I cannot stress enough how awesome this "sport" is. There are four tenants to physical fitness: strength, flexibility, balance, and cardiovascular, and yoga is the only thing I know that addresses each. You can make each yoga practice the equivalent of Armageddon if you so choose or as light as a simple stretching to awaken some sore muscles. And it requires nothing more than your own self. The simplicity of yoga meshes perfectly with a life goal of living with less...you can take perfect care of yourself using nothing more than yourself.

No comments: