Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Alone In The Wilderness

Three years ago I watched an unbelievable account on PBS from Dick Proenneke about his 30 years in Alaska. I have remained in awe ever since I saw that show. That single show was worth all my last three years support for KVIE.

This man found the wherewithal, after retiring from other life, to find the energy and passion to forge a living from the land. He required little to thrive. This, I think, is the true message he gives to everyone else. You don't need a lot to thrive. You might have to work at it, but that is a small price to pay to thrive.

I had the privilege to spend a week on Shuyak Island in 2005, during the fall. I can barely imagine how I'd make it during winter there, yet Dick was able to carve out a substantial living in an even more inhospitable realm.

I admire his perseverance in his endeavors, knowing full well as a type I diabetic that sort of lifestyle is completely forbidden for me. I feel a little trapped in that knowledge, but nonetheless, I can learn and emulate the best I can from such a person. I should realize that I also need very little to thrive; I don't need an Escalade, a 65" HDTV, a starter mansion, an iPhone...I only need basic things and I've somewhat learned the true value of austerity.

I have a lot farther to go...

No comments: