Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Parvo

I mentioned that I am one of perhaps twenty Elk Grovians who ride their bikes to work. I met one of those twenty this morning...on Franklin Blvd.

He said this was his third ride in five days, and the only riding he's done in the last three years. He contracted Parvo three years back and only began riding again five days ago. I didn't ask why specifically he couldn't ride. Apparently, autoimmune deficiencies are common with us Elk Grovian bike commuters. Maybe that's the only reason we ride.

Nonetheless, that fucker could belt out the speed. He was on my wheel for a good three minutes before I knew he was there, and after chatting for a mile he bolted on forward. He boards Franklin about a half mile south of me and rides to CSUS...very close to SMUD.

A good fifteen minutes after he took off, I was grinding into a 20-mph headwind on the 99 overpass when I noticed a mitten rolling downwind.......right on by......and then I saw him backtracking, chasing it down. Today was one of those typical spring NW winds that really test your will to ride. I arrived at work swollen from tree pollen and blind from windswept debris. It took a good three hours to stop coughing, wheezing, blinking, and sneezing at work.

No comments: