Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Pound Down

I think it's time to take another trip to Londontown.

I saw Carnal Forge at the Underworld, a London nightclub right off the Kings Cross tube station in 2005. What a place that was...in such a fantastic city, and everything was available within walking distance and/or a subway station.

There was one huge problem, a problem common with every walkable, human scaled city...London is the most expensive city you'll ever find, alongside Dublin and Tokyo. At the time, my exchange rate was about $1.65 to the pound and a beer cost 4 pounds. I never once got drunk in England, I couldn't afford it. All was not lost, however...I did find enough money to try a number of different English ales -- just not in the quantities I would have liked...

But now! Wa-hey! Sterling is falling fast!

A consequence of the English financial implosion is a much, much better exchange rate, now at $1.35. I had better arrange another visit soon, before the dollar follows the pound down.

No comments: