Sunday, January 25, 2009

I Don't Need Them

Fortunately, blogging is an ideal mental escape mechanism for me where I can archive thoughts that most other live human beings aren't willing to discuss. My observations and opinions are different, for sure, than most Merkians, but I am certain I'm not a raving lunatic. I am simply concerned...and my manner of dealing with all the things going on around us is to be prepared.

I was very serious last month when thinking about disaster preparedness, and actually doing something proactive seems prudent. As an insulin dependent diabetic I have an added layer of concern. Most people, without access to their daily drugs, would only be inconvenienced. I'd die. This idea isn't something most people have to think about, and as well, they also don't think about any other conditions that are equally perilous, such as lack of clean water, heat, or food.

I also believe that because we have failed to build and live in real communities, any resource shortage will immediately demonstrate our inability to cooperate with others. The true nature of my Elk Grovian neighbors would be exposed, and I, seriously, don't think that nature is one of compassion and/or cooperation. "I don't need my neighbors and they don't need me" is the Elk Grovian creed.

Why would it be otherwise? What have we built, developed, or lived in in the past thirty years that would make you think people are better citizens? That people would look out for the common good? The truth is, we've sacrificed every public institution that encourages cooperation for our own private realms.

That said, I am quietly preparing. The vast majority of us will never live through a disaster or anything even close to one, and no one alive has ever had to deal with providing for themselves and their families during a sustained crisis. ISHTF, I want to avoid the normalcy bias that inevitably occurs and be prepared instead of being stunned and incapacitated.

No comments: