Monday, January 12, 2009

The Highest Bidder

I earlier blogged how, in our "tough economy," there would be more drivers only pretending to have valid registrations, only pretending to have valid licenses, only pretending to have insurance.

I sold my 1979 Ford truck to a couple (Bill and Roz) who stayed with us for several months last year. We provided them a room downstairs until they rented their own house. For a thousand bucks I parted ways with a truck that mostly sat in my driveway, but that I took care of.

Selling the truck was an extension of my 2007 cleansing of material goods, the year I really began living with less and feeling a lot better about it. I have not once felt any regret about selling any possession, any regrets about selling that truck...until this last weekend.

Roz was pulled over by the CHP on Friday for driving the truck with expired registration. They hadn't paid the $78 bucks to the DMV since I sold it. She then 'discovered' that her license had been suspended. The truck was towed to an Elk Grove impound yard. Bill 'discovered' that his license was also suspended; now neither one of them can legally get the car out of impound for 30 days, and at $45 a day...you can see where this is going...

For a matter of seventy eight dollars the truck is gone, to be sold to the highest bidder come February. It would have been better off rusting in my driveway.

No comments: