Thursday, January 15, 2009

Dolphin Safe

Preparing a tuna sandwich for my son this evening, I noticed two things on the Hy-Top tuna can: dolphin safe, and made in China.

It appears my tuna took a 16,000 mile detour from trawlers in the Pacific out to mainland China, for processing, before loaded on container ship to be consumed in Elk Grove, California.

I asked my wife where she bought the fish, and she wasn't sure...."WINCO?" The thing is, I will never expect her to care where the food comes from, 'cause that's something she doesn't give a shit about. Indeed, it's what most of you don't give a shit about, so I don't hold it against her. I can wine and bitch and blog about this all I want, but in the end, all she and every other Merikan cares about is price -- so long as it's cheap, it's thrown in the basket. Food is Food.

Let me ask you: with all this melamine, with all the supposed lax Chinese environmental regulations...do you think for a minute my son's tuna is dolphin safe? Because it says so on the can? Do you think for a minute that Chinese factory workers, with their fantastic command of the English language, didn't mistake the labeling between "cat food with tuna" and "tuna food with cat?"

Ha!

No comments: