Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ruminations

I made note of how all three level of governments that represent me are hemorrhaging -- bleeding red ink. I am a doomer for sure, but I no doubt remain optimistic regarding our ability to avoid complete societal meltdown. The truth is, I have to...because although I claim my job at SMUD is bomb-proof, no job would be.

I personally think this nation of over-consumptive over-entitled clowns is wholly ill prepared, wholly, to manage any level of scarcity. Any level. That's why I'm considering a rational pre-emptive hoarding program so I'm better prepared. That's all. Nothing wrong with that.

Here's a nuclear scenario: the state of California's bipolar legislature utterly fails to compromise and allows the state to run fiscally dry within a few months. The state happens to be SMUD's largest single customer, and I cannot envision any possible condition where we pull meters due to non-payment. No...we'll do that for any of you chumps who are 90-days late, but there's no way we'd have the balls to do that to the gov'na. Instead, we'd take it in the shorts and immediately suspend every capital project on our books.

SMUD could be forced to provide power without payment indefinitely methinks. While we expect consumers to pay for power, we absolutely could not live with a scenario where we didn't make it available. This could mean immediate, brutal layoffs firings and we'd maintain the barest of crews necessary to keep some degree of power flowing. As a 3-year employee, lower than all other protection engineers on the totem, the felling axe would find my neck first.

For any sustained depression, I think I'm most certainly safe for the reasons outlined in my previous post. But I think it prudent, really, to consider the catastrophic. Hell, my role as blogger and social critic is to ruminate on things that everyone else is indisposed to dwell on. Look -- we've got every one of these fucking clowns in charge, every one, who failed to see this economic shitstorm on the horizon. Isn't it at least plausible they might find a way to completely fucker everything up?

No comments: