Sunday, August 3, 2008

No SUV Left Behind

I have converged on a view that electrification will reign king in the future. Perhaps the new energy sources to fund this viewpoint will come from a combination of nuclear and renewables, that's my guess.

In my opinion, we are soon going to fully experience increased bidding for accelerating declining net exports from oil exporting countries. You only have to look south to see this in action. Mexico has precipitously declined since 2004, and they are our #2 supplier behind Canada. Keep in mind, that as oil producing countries' demand for oil increases over time, this will lead to accelerating net export declines. Many people are forecasting Mexico to become a net importer of oil in less than ten years.

I personally see this manifested in the upward trend in oil prices since 2001. In the short term, we fluctuate all over the map, but the 7 year trend is up, up, and up. I see this continuing for the next seven years and beyond. When the Japanese man asked the bank teller "why this week do you only give me 110 yen for a dollar when last week it was 112," the teller replied "Fluctuations." "Well, Fluck you Amelicans, too!"

At the same time, we're going to see a move from oil to EV and PHEV and electrified rail. The "No SUV Left Behind" program will wither. Perhaps it's my bias as a utility electrical engineer, but this makes sense to me.

No comments: