Thursday, August 14, 2008

More Modern than Modern

If you've never seen where I work, here's a cropped photo of the southeast section of my building:

It's described as modernist. And there isn't any other architectural form more destructive than this.

Admittedly, I'm a huge fan of simplified forms and lack of ornamentation. I build furniture in the 1900-1915 Craftsman style that at that time was a statement against the Victorian style that dominated the earlier periods, and also against the degradation of the industrialized worker. Craftsman styles promoted individual hand craftsmanship...something not found in 1908 factory production and, wouldn't you know it, also not found in 2008 factory production.

What I see are tapestries of Stalin, Lenin, Engles, Augusto Pinochet, and Chairman Mao draped across the one hundred and twelve feet of blank brick wall. That's what this building tells the world -- "I'm solitary, I will not integrate with the community. I'm designed to stand alone." It's entire exterior conveys to a pedestrian "keep away." I believe it was built in 1967, and I gotta think that a newly minted engineer, graduating from Mira Loma High School in 1963 who shuttled himself off to a four year degree would have found working in this building quite welcoming.

I can think of thousands, hundreds of thousands, of other buildings that convey the same message. This is the message every walled suburban 'community' says to the world --"I'm an oasis in our collective shitstorm." Come on, the dream of virtually every modern architect is to design their own, stand alone statement. Look at the national library of Prague:

This is the architectural representation of a nocturnal emission by its architect -- a dollop of dream cream. Could it possibly integrate with any other building? No. It's not supposed to.

No comments: