Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Cesspool Of Humanity

Very clearly the recession is near its end. Not based on any economic indicator -- leading this, lagging that, GDP this, debt ratio that; no, my observations on the volume and kinds of traffic on Franklin Blvd make it clear -- we are at the end. I mentioned before the increase in traffic; that much is clear. But yesterday was the first Friday after the first of the month, and regardless of what this suggests there is a obvious difference in the kind of cars and the kinds of people driving them on Franklin Blvd.

Fridays have always brought out the worst in people. When I get junk thrown at me, passengers giving me shit, or when they drive right up behind me in the bike lane and honk or swerve at me in some feigned show of power, I can tell it's a Friday.

I wear a helmet as much for protection from my "neighbors" throwing stuff as it is from a concussion if I crash. I wear an iPod as much for thrash metal as it is to provide an obvious means that I can't hear them calling me out as they drive by (although I can).

I wonder...why do I do this? I've not gotten into any serious accidents, not once crashed, but with all these meatheads out there, is it only a matter of time before I disrespect one of them or a car full of them and get myself crushed?

This is Franklin Blvd. for you, a cesspool of humanity between 41st and Valley Hi on Friday afternoons. It was so much better during our little recession; these people didn't come out. Franklin Blvd. was dead, traffic was muted, they stayed at home causing grief to each other, not to me. Now, the speed racers are back, the SUVs and Harleys bypassing stacked cars in the bike lane are back, the bling is back, the spinners are back...the recession is unfortunately over...

No comments: