Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Father And The Sun

Father's Day today coincides with the solstice, so I did my sun salutations outside this morning, actually facing the sun. All I wanted for Father's Day was the opportunity to practice my yoga uninterrupted for an hour. It was nice.

There's an interesting dynamic here, the Father and the Sun. Theologians, while not admitting it directly, equate the two. Of the seven days of the week, each named after a planet, moon, or star, they chose Sun-day for His day off and for our sabbath. Not Moon-day, or Saturn-day, but Sunday. Jesus ascended to heaven on a Sunday...the birth of the Son. And because of our remarkable inability to keep any record of which Sunday this occurred, bishops agreed in 325 AD in Northwest Turkey that Easter should fall on the first Sunday after the first full moon that falls on or after the vernal equinox. Now tell me there's no connection between the Christian god and the sun, that they don't share the same rootstock.

My yoga sun salutations this morning were a truer form of divine worship than anything else your bishops, priests, clerics, rabbis, fathers, popes, imams, or pastors could come up with. At least I admit the connection.

No comments: