Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hyperopic

After eleven days in Colorado I will temper down my earlier thoughts on our economy.

Having spent some time outside my Elk Grovian confides, I am becoming aware that this "recession" is most certainly worse here than elsewhere across my America. Sure, Aurora, CO home values have dropped, but not anywhere near what Elk Grove has seen, along with unemployment and all other economic activity. Our national economy appears better outside Elk Grove and California -- these two are not an accurate barometer of our nation's overall economy. Not all communities and cities fucked themselves over like Elk Grove has.

I am cheering on our recession. Still, I'm convinced, now even more so, that a depression is highly unlikely. While I personally believe we'd find ultimate value in total collapse, I grudgingly accept that we won't make any headway towards stemming our complete rout of the independent American farm family and accept that we will continue to pave over of all our countryside with strip malls, low density suburban tracts and fried food huts, even in the wake of taxpayer funding of Wall Street bonuses for abject failure. We collectively think this is the best of all possible outcomes and we passively accept it. This is our Merika. Love it or leave it.

I will never accept it, but then again, I hold an extreme minority opinion. I happen to think we could do better. This is my opinion, but clearly it's not going to be actively accepted by anyone else. OK.

To that end I will strive to keep to my own hyperopic view, that I can do well during any long term feast or famine, and fuck whatever else might rise or fall around me. I personally will do fine regardless of how you do, or how the nation does.

No comments: