Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Forget the Debt

To stave off a depression, we shouldn't, at all, concern ourselves with running tremendous deficits. And we're not.

My little national debt clock at the bottom of this page is set to hit $11 trillion sometime tomorrow. Seems like yesterday when we hit $10 trillion. $11 trillion, and by the end of this year, $12 trillion. Meh.

No one cares about this number, no one knows what it means, and no one has ever been affected by it. Just some number, it could be millions, it could be quadrillions, meh, who cares. My favorite line is "well, we just owe it to ourselves..."

And so it is that my parent's generation didn't care about this debt, my generation doesn't care about this debt, and my kids won't either. In fact, all we ever hear is "What about our Children? Save the Children. Help the Children. Don't indebt our Children."

Know what I say? Fuck the Children. They ain't special. They're just like any other group of Americans -- a few winners, and a whole lot of losers. My parent's kids turned out fine, even in the face of all that 1970's yammering about passing that debt to our children. Turned out fine. Just fine.

An interesting documentary, I.O.U.S.A., tries to scare me, to convince me that I should care about the debt, how it's a ticking time bomb, BOOM! and how our children are going to suffer from our unsustainable spending.

Meh.

No comments: