Saturday, November 15, 2008

Used Bicycles

I'm considering chaining a used child's bike to the front bumper of my truck parked on Frye Creek. Frye Creek is a suburban collector road made wide enough so that people feel comfortable enough going thirty miles an hour faster than the posted speed limit.

I have a feeling that the presence of a child's bike might force people to slow down...something new to the 'environment.' I can place the bike just to the outside edge of the truck, almost in the traffic lane but not quite, but enough so that car drivers from either direction will see it.

I have to chain it up because within a few hours it would be stolen, no matter its condition. However, I can test this hypothesis with the introduction of an unchained really shitty first bike(and thus I can claim plausible deniability). I will set this bike up about three feet in front and about a foot and a half outside the truck's driver's side and I'll bet that cars will slow down in an apparent assumption that a child might be lurking just in front of the truck. I can put the bike behind the truck in a few days to keep the illusion changing.

Formally planted tree lined streets don't suffer nearly as much from speeding because trees provide friction for drivers, something never found in the modern suburban planner's repertoire. Because these fuckers won't plant trees, I'll plant old, used kid's bicycles.

No comments: