Saturday, June 21, 2008

Solstice!

Not much to offer to anyone interested in their own solstice celebration today. I will not be doing much, no naked offerings, or any of my offerings of the past, because that damn sun is making things around here quite miserable. Today I curse the Gods.

The heat, combined with shading from the two trees leads to only 7.5kWh of daily solar PV production during the summer months. I think the shading is the most serious of the two, but I can't see myself eliminating a decent tree for 1.5kWh a day...I should be at work looking for other ways to reduce my consumption of 1.5kWh a day and spare the tree. The tree provides a lot more than what that lost PV energy could provide me, but you can't necessarily put a price on it. If you did, then the tree would have to be destroyed.

But that's exactly what we do on a macro scale every day...we commodotize nature, determine it's near-term potential for profit, and methodically exploit it till it's consumed. Take the Japanese and bluefin tuna...they will fish this fish to extinction before they stop their consumption of sushi. Price will go up until only the privileged can eat it, then only the wealthy in the black market, then one day it will all be gone and that will be that. When? 2075? 2243? Who knows, but one thing is for sure...few speak for the bluefin.

No comments: