Saturday, June 21, 2008

Blueteeth and Bluehairs

Yoli and I went to a Monarch's basketball game last night, where we enjoyed the game via a box suite. She won a drawing at the LaMesa RV dealership in Davis a few weeks back, when she went with her mom to buy some part for her RV.

So here I was, with a number of other RV owners, sitting in a private suite eating coconut shrimp and imported fruit and drinking all the alcohol I could take in. At first I resist the pampering, but after the beer loosens me up, I become a spoiled patron. I have my own, private restroom, so I can refuse to eliminate in the public trough with the commoners. How unsanitary their conditions must be! My seat is adjustable and comfortable, I can see the game entirely without having to adjust over the commoner's heads, whose seats are of hard, fixed, phenolic plastic. How their backs must hurt afterwards! My beer was freeflowing and I paid nothing to get it. How much money the common man must have spent for each beer! My coconut shrimp was delectable. The commoner's limited choice of hamburger or hot dog must have been awful!

It really was surreal. Almost all the things the Franklin Monologues decries was starkly evident here. The author sitting amongst codgers, bluehairs and geezer RV owners, whose wealth trumps any gas price, enjoying the complements from an industry that epitomizes a total lack of environmental stewardship and excess consumption...and as I get buzzed, I sink straight in.

An interesting side observation: bluehairs with bluetooths...a technology that apparently passed right over me from twentysomethings to seventysomethings...they all had these things dangling from an ear, talking to their grandchildren about the game no doubt. Hands free is something I think the older generation embraces, eliminating all that bothersome neck craning and forearm cramping a commoner's phone entails.

I totally enjoyed the game, even as the Monarch's were stung with a humiliating double digit defeat. Additionally, getting a taste of the exclusivity of wealth shows me just how much I'm missing out on by riding the bus, bicycling for errands, and trying to conserve. I should be striving for more...

No comments: