Saturday, June 28, 2008

Pray for Relief!

I was reading last week of a group of religious folk somewhere in the east who decided to stage a sit-in at a gas station, praying for lower energy prices. I know the fallacy of taking a group of seven people and paralleling them with 300+ million Americans. But I have to say, there are likely one hundred and ninety five million other Merikans who are desperately wishing for gas to get back to $3.XX a gallon.

I gassed up the Civic today, along with a two gallon lawn mower tank, and it cost me fifty bucks. Fifty bucks. And to be honest, I couldn't give a shit what it costs...if it's twenty or ninety, I'd pay it. I will drive my car regardless. I can afford it. And apparently, Merikan religiosity doesn't care either. Some might pray for lower prices, but in the end, they are every bit as much sucked into suburban sprawl as are secular humanists. The religious in this nation are just as responsible for fuckering up our landscapes as the non-pious. One might argue that they are even more responsible.

And I am one of them! One to argue! I argue the point because I observe it daily. My Lutheran neighbors drive a Nissan Armada, one of the biggest SUVs you can buy. And why did they buy it? SAFETY! Oh yeah! That's it! Nevermind the fact that their SUV contributes to localized pollution contributing to childhood asthma, the children need to be armored! And the environment be dammned! Why care about this earth when you're gonna be raptured up to heaven in any event?

I am so hostile to the religious in this nation because they are more culpable for our untenable living arrangements. The people who are willing to make meaningful changes to our urban landscapes are, almost exclusively, secular humanists. Only white secular humanists drive Priuses. The thing is, religion is going to be even more dominate in the future, in my opinion. People, ever since they crawled out of the primordial mud, have an affinity to worship the unknown, and with an unknown future in a world of energy scarcity, well...

No comments: