Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Florin Adventure

I am struggling to find enjoyment in the bicycle commute these days.

I had to take a different route the other day leading me into the left turn lane of Florin onto southbound Franklin, and what a zoo that was. The left turn signal only turns green after the thru-traffic on the right has been green for about 30 seconds, so there I am on my bike, trapped between stopped traffic to my left in the turn lane and 45-mph cars to my right.

There is no good that comes from bicycle commuting; I'm beginning to come to that realization. After six years on Franklin Blvd. and ten years before that in Elk Grove proper I'm reaching the end of the line with the bicycle. Elk Grove was not, is not, and will never be accessible by bicycle, ever. This I've known, but only now at my advanced age does it become more axiomatic.

Advanced age! Ha! Forty one! But yes, there's a complete difference than fifteen years ago when I could ride to Folsom somewhat comfortably compared to today where I can barely walk down the stairs first thing in the morning. I've some substantial left knee pain along with a right heel plantar fasciitis and then I'm just simply tired and weak and unwilling to do anything around the housal unit for the entire weekend.

The Florin Road adventure yesterday left me distraught, because for the first time ever I reached a point of disgust on the bike. Twice I couldn't contain myself and flipped off two separate drivers -- one who advanced in front of me and turned right into the Home Depot parking lot, cutting me off, and the second was right after the turn onto Franklin where a woman yelled at me for being in the road. "Fuck her," I muttered, and proceeded to raise the finger. She entered the Valero to gas up the Pacer, and it's problematic for me to now know that I'm likely forced to be doing the same as her going forward.

A point of disgust and total capitulation regarding my two-decades-long experiment with alternative commuting. I knew that someday I most certainly wouldn't have the legs to do it, yes, but right now I'm wrestling with both physical and mental issues.

If the mind isn't configured for bicycle commuting, well the legs don't really matter.

No comments: