Friday, April 1, 2011

Cheaters

As gasoline continues its relentless, remorseless march towards four whole dollars per gallon, I'm even more bummed that I can't mount the bicycle yet. Still trying to recover from a crotch surgery less than a month ago, that's left me hanging.

I've been reading how many environmentalists "cheat" -- they throw up a few solar panels, recycle a little plastic but then believe that these actions offset excessive leisure driving, or that they "did good here so I'll take a little there." Like this is some sorta game.

So long as it's treated like a game it will never reach into the realm of relevance. We have such a high degree of affluence and technology in this nation, two multipliers of population (PxAxT), that really, the contributions from a PV array or eating kale from a local farm once a week pales relative to the overall human impact we have.

I've been driving a lot more than I'd like in part due to the surgery, but also in part due to the inconvenience of the bus. It takes effort to ride the bus; it takes virtually none to jump into the car. I'd have to stop blogging right now to clean myself up for work so as to make it on the last bus...or I just continue blogging and drive mysel

No comments: