Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Had Better

I tried as best I could to maintain some semblance of a correct diet while on holiday in Toronto, Buffalo and Niagara Falls...but I fell miles short somewhere over the border. While traveling, it's exceedingly difficult to find cabbage salads, whole wheat breads, or any of the other good foods that I try to eat at home. This is because my food axiom falls apart when you allow others to prepare your food. In general, others don't give a shit about your health and are more concerned about their bottom line. I respect that, because people need to make money...but I also know that I'm gonna get overly processed, dead food as a result.

I spent over thirty dollars, thirty! to eat fruit at the various airports during my travels. A small fruit cup costs as much as a #4 meal at an airport McDonalds. You don't have to wonder why Americans are such fat slobs when a 46% fat, 100% processed, zero fiber, 1,450 calorie quarter pounder combo meal costs less than a 350 calorie serving of fresh fruit.

OK. You could make an argument that fresh fruit in December in Boston is as energy intensive as a beef burger...but this is July, damn it -- the peak of fruit season.

And let me say that the token blackberries that came in my $4.25 fruit cup in Buffalo were as tasteless as wet cardboard. I had better. They were nowhere close to the berries I picked the week before in the California Delta.

No comments: