Monday, August 2, 2010

Twenty Grams

There is no need to wonder why medical insurance rates are rising at an annual double digit clip. Today I just cost my insurance company somewhere around a thousand bucks, all on account of the mis-allocation of twenty grams of corn.

Knowing I needed something other than the fructose in my morning cherries and bananas prior to yoga, I grabbed a cup of Tuerca De Maiz and took insulin for 48 grams of carbohydrate...when indeed my serving only had 28.

This extra 20 grams, or more precisely, the extra insulin for these 20 grams caused my sugar to crash at the end of my yoga class, I wandered around the SMUD parking lot for an hour until someone responded, at which point the paramedics were called, and a thousand bucks were pissed away, all for half a dozen firemen to deliver me fifty grams of sugar (Gatorade!), among the cheapest foodstuffs known to man.

Knowing that diabetes is one of dozens of American diseases directly related to our ever increasing diets of processed corn syrup and soybean oil (because, hey, we want our food cheap above all else), this nation is primed for another sixty five million type II diabetics come 2050...and many of these will suffer hypoglycemic events that people around them won't know how to handle and for but several pounds of sugar, several billion will be spent rescuing them.

Twenty grams...

No comments: