Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Active Ignorance

I watched the national news this evening where Brian Williams in the second segment hurriedly rushed through reporting that the top Afghanistan general is out, David McKiernan.

My family, myself, and two relatives were all just downstairs watching the comedic ventriloquist Jeff Dunham. That guy is funny as hell, but as soon as that was over, everyone scattered while I turned on the news.

I was struck by how the reporting of the changing of the top war commander was handled with all the flair and interest of a coaching change for a ball team, how matter-of-fact this was presented, and how my family (and, frankly, I) couldn't give a rat's ass about it.

Afghanistan is a forgotten war to the vast majority of Americans. I put myself into that camp this evening when I realized, flopped out on the couch, how totally disconnected I am, someone who self-proclaims to keep up with current affairs. I am as unconcerned about a change in the top leadership in our major war as much as I am unconcerned about who's coaching the Clemson men's basketball team.

But it dawned on me...there are a hell of a lot more Americans who can tell you the Tiger's coaches name or the pit crew leader for Jeff Burton rather than what general's in charge of our war(s).

1 comment:

Woodtickc1 said...

I saw the article on the TV and read a little more about it online. I'm not exactly sure why I am interested in this kind of thing.....possibly to understand the reasons behind the change of command. My intrest buys me about as much as knowing who is coaching who, but I do feel a little more connected to the people who are fighting this war. Guilt also comes into play......I would never want to participate directly in this conflict, but appriciate those who can and do.